Wednesday, 16 February 2011

Lovely house in Devizes, anyone?


Yesterday the nice woman from the estate agent came to value our house. She said all the right things, and even admired the "family bathroom" (a small, undistinguished room with no shower but all the other necessities crammed in). I apologised for the glory hole (a combination of shed, rubbish tip and utility room) and she didn't bat an eyelid. I said should we re-edecorate, and she said don't bother (good). I told her that if she bought my book, I'd let her sell our house, and she took down the details. But...

I love this house, and I don't want anyone else to have it. It's our home. Right? I especially don't want to have to tidy it up so that people can "look round" it (does anyone sell cans of coffee- or fresh-bread-smelling air freshener?). So the jury (regarding whether or not we sell) is still out. Well, hovering in the doorway, anyway.

10 comments:

  1. It's a hard thing to do if you don't want to go. Why are you putting on the market if you don't want to?

    I'll come over and make you some bread and we'll have a chat too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer, Jarmara - that would be lovely. We could drink coffee and not get down to writing together!

    We want to be nearer the children and grandchildren, and sadly we can't pick up the house and take it with us...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you can figure out where you're comfortable Frances, between your house and the distance. Those are a couple of very strong forces that are right now in opposition to one another.

    You'll find your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough decision. Maybe you could look at houses in the area you'd like to live - if you fell in love with another house, letting go of this one might be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI, Nevets. All this talk of very strong forces smacks of astrology. Which reminds me - whih dya is your birthday?

    Hi, Patsy. Yes, we haven't really started looking yet, although there's an enchanting and tiny cottage in Thames Ditton (where my daughter lives) for £600,000. So I don't think we'll be living in Thames Ditton!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 18th! That makes us both pretty special, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nevets - we could have a blog party! Your place or mine? Fancy dress?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been trying to buy a house for three years, Frances. I hope it doesn't take you that long to find somewhere you like. It is really tough leaving a place you love. The reason I have moved so often is that I have never found anywhere peaceful enough to write in! All I can afford in London is a flat surrounded by noisy neighbours. (Sigh.)

    ReplyDelete