Friday 23 February 2018

The Me Too campaign

But not me, I'm afraid. Am I alone in being sick and tired of all these "celebrities" whinging about a pat on the knee? Soon, a man won't be able even accidentally to touch a female back or shoulder without being labelled a "sex pest" (awful tabloid-speak). I've had my fair share, and some of it was unpleasant, but I've lived to tell the tale.

I've counselled many people who were victims of sexual abuse, and it destroys lives and families. Some of the tales I've heard beggar belief, and I've wept over at least one. It is appalling, and I would be the first to condemn it. But these protestors in their posh black frocks diminish the severity of real sex crimes by putting themselves in the same category. Some of them may have suffered genuine abuse, so this doesn't apply to them, but for the most part, these experiences sound relatively trivial.

Come on, girls! Whatever happens to real, stand-up-for-yourself feminism? A slap or a kick where it hurts should sort the monster out. And as for you guys, I feel sorry for you, as from now on you really are going to have to watch yourselves in case you find that you're accused of something you are completely unaware of.

12 comments:

  1. I didn't even manage one Valentines card let alone a hand on my knee.
    I have sussed what I'm doing wrong...I guess Eau de Pig and Diesel don't encourage folk to tamper with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, if I were nearer I'd love to put my hand on your knee.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Frances! I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of these women and further I do believe they let themselves be in compromising situations if not actually initiating them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me be the next one to agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of some of these women.
    I have always believed that there is a great deal of hysterics involved when it comes to anything related to (presumed) sexual offenses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not agree. Not that I really know who you are referring to (posh black frocks), and I suppose discussions may well have developed a bit differently from one country to another. But I have to say I do think the campaign as a whole has brought to the light some behavior patterns that have been tolerated or ignored for far too long. (Including assumptions that like when someone says no they really mean yes, etc.) And the way forward really can't be to just sweep it all back under the carpet again... Ah well. Now I'm going to devote the rest of the evening to watching a film that I was actually coincidentally going to watch tonight anyway ... The Suffragette... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DT, the frocks were worn at celebrity award ceremonies. And perhaps I need to clarify. I agree that many of these recent cases are awful, but I'm just saying it's gone too far now, with women complaining about relatively trivial things. And people are losing their entire careers without a fair trial. There's a fine line between a saucy gesture and genuine abuse, but the line is there. I hope you enjoyed your film!

      Delete
  5. And the latest Me Too to jump on the bandwagon is Monica Lewinsky of US President Clinton fame ... you can't convince me that she wasn't a more-than-willing participant in that "abuse!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think there is anything wrong with standing up for abuse at all, maybe I think I can see where you are coming from in terms of sexual harrassment being pinned as a male issue so very publicly... But I would rather like to see equal reporting - say- those of sociopathic women who might block the innocent father from seeing their children under false pretenses (e.g. provoking them into violence) - also brought into the light.
    Ps I read your book 'Dead Ernest' and really enjoyed it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good points. Thank you for making them. And I'm so glad you enjoyed D Ernest!

      Delete