Wednesday 19 September 2018

The other royal wedding

Next month, Princess Eugenie is marrying somebody or other (does anyone reading this know his name? No? I thought not. You may not even know who Princess E is, either), and her parents* are upset because the BBC are, quite rightly, refusing to televise the wedding. The couple intend to do (part of) the tour of Windsor that Meghan and Harry did, in a horse drawn carriage. The policing of this event is going to cost the taxpayer 2 million pounds.

I don’t blame the couple - they are young and...well, young. But what are the parents thinking of? Why are the authorities sanctioning this exorbitant cost? Surely someone somewhere should have said no? And who is going to bother to watch, either on TV or on the streets of Windsor? Those who do are probably more likely to be looking out for Kate and William and Meghan and Harry et al rather than the happy couple.

For the record, I am a royalist. I love the fact that we have an apolitical head of state, and the queen has done her job all these years with exemplary forbearance and charm. But this is going too far, isn't it?

Well, isn’t it?

*Prince Andrew and Fergie. Wouldn’t you know it?

17 comments:

  1. I agree with your every word!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Whatever the bloke deserves a medal, neither daughter of the Paedophile prince were first in the queue for looks or brains. Mind you the Royals are always plastered in medals when in fancy dress.

      Delete
  3. I’d watch it just to see what dreadful outfits sister and mother would wear 😀

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch! Actually, I think the bride is the one who wore That Hat, Wendy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you mean " the pretzel"...that was the other one.....Beatrice!

      Delete
  5. Jack Brooksbank. Don’t call yourself a royalist if you really didn’t know. And it definitely isn’t going too far, if you are a royalist. Perhaps you are a royalist in name only, not in your heart of hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stand corrected! The trouble is that people over here really aren’t that interested in the so called minor royals. This means that a great deal of expense will,go on policing an event that won’t attract much attention, so it will be wasted. Princess Anne’s two children had low key weddings, with just a photo in the papers the next day (I’m a great fan of Princess Anne, who works very hard).Perhaps I’m more of a queenist, RWP!

      Delete
  6. I didn't even know we had a paedophile prince. I was at the back of the queue when the front of the queue were discussing this. And, probably more relevant, don't have a television. And who is Jack Brooksbank? I am getting muddled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, JB is Eugenie’s fiancé. And as for the so called paedophile Prince, I don’t think there is such a thing. Take no notice of Adrian!

      Delete
  7. I didn’tmean To sound judgmental and probably came across as too harsh. As a queenist, though, wouldn’t you be interested in her grandchildren? I’m sure they are all equal in her eyes, not divided into major and minor! That is something the journalists do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I did feel a sharp slap on the wrist, but I can live with that! Apropos the queen’s grandchildren, interest here focuses much more on those in the direct line (ie William and Harry), and less on the others. Princess Anne eschewed titles and publicity for her family; prince Andrew did not. But no matter. The fact remains that public interest in the next wedding is minimal compared with that for Meghan and Harry. Unfair? I’ve no idea! But that’s the way it is.

      Delete
  8. Since the birth of William’s three children, Harry is now sixth in line and Eugenie is ninth (fairly close together, with only Andrew and Beatrice In between). Princess Anne, of whom you are a great fan, is thirteenth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't really say that I'm a Royalist although, at the moment, I'm a Monarchist. The present monarch happens to be a very good one in most ways but another George III might alter my views. As for the £2 for policing the wedding I think that is completely uncalled for when there are so many other calls on police time where the money could be much better spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I’m probably with you, Graham. Whatever happens, the present queen is going to be a very hard act to follow.

      Delete