Monday 23 May 2011

Getting down to things

I am very, very bad at getting down to things. I make decisions about what I'm going to do, and then change my mind (too much like hard work, too expensive, perhaps not such a good idea after all etc etc). Recently, I've had an idea for a radio play, another idea for a screenplay, thought about saxophone lessons, having more dressage lessons, improving my French (the CD and booklet have been sitting patiently waiting for my attention for over a year), stocking the freezer with food for visitors, cleaning out a particularly daunting cupboard...and I haven't done any of them.

My neighbour, on the other hand, is (and I'm sure she won't mind me saying this) one of those small, slim people, sometimes known as "sprightly", who never stop. In her eighties, she can be seen dashing off for her early morning swim, her day-long ramble, one of her many instrumental gatherings, her voluntary work at the hospital (an hour's drive away), looking after her grandchildren, driving off on her five-hour journey to visit the 90+ woman who looked after as a child, and whose garden she sorts out, having Russian lessons...you get the picture.

Why can't I be like that? Why am I sitting her wasting time when I could be doing Pilates or learning to tap dance (another thing I've always fancied) or doing something Really Worthwhile? I know I take after my father - he was like this - but that's no excuse. And the counsellor in me says that I can change.

If I really want to...

5 comments:

  1. I'm just as bad. There are so many things I want to do, that sometimes by the time I've thought through which is most urgent, it's too late to start anything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Patsy. I'm glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. After reading this, I'm definitely sticking to my guns. Not going to tell you about other ways to keep you from doing what you really want to be doing!
    It could have been me who wrote this post, Frances. All of it rings true. I get frustrated by it, and think that setting a schedule must be the solution. This is something I resist mightily and always have, but perhaps there's some comfort to be found in organizing a day by activities, and sticking to the timing. First I have to actually SET the schedule and then try to stick to it. Don't know which will be harder!
    But yes, change is possible. You have to want it enough, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Better is Possible (you have to have an easier name!). Welcome to the club!

    Deborah, I find I do better if I write lists at the beginning of each day, and tick things off as I do them. As for change, there's the old one: Q how many counsellors does it take to change a light bulb? A One, but the lightbulb has to want to change.

    Not sure this particular light bulb want it enough...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete