Tuesday 24 July 2018

What is it about knickers?


Official definition/derivation: "The word drawers was invented because underwear for women was drawn on. However in Britain women's underwear were soon called knickerbockers too. In the late 19th century the word was shortened to knickers. In the USA knickers are called panties, which is obviously derived from the word pants (American for trousers)."

How boring is that? However, my most-read posts are the ones with knickers in the heading (closely followed, bewilderingly,  by window cleaners). My most popular of all was "K is for Knickers" (written for the April A to Z challenge in the days when I had time-wasting down to a fine art).

"Pants" isn't nearly as amusing, and as for "panties", that's a word I personally can't stand (I've no idea why).

But why are knickers considered so funny/ fascinating/entertaining?

Just wondering...

18 comments:

  1. I can't think about knickers since I got an email advising me that Sarah Sanders was de-briefing Trump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honi soit qui mal y pense, Adrian.

      Delete
    2. La culotte est toujours très sexy jusqu'à une certaine taille de hanche. Puis ils deviennent camouflage

      Delete
    3. Vous avez raison, Adrian. Comme toujours....

      Delete
  2. Good question!
    What you say about your most-read posts reminds me that I have not checked my blog statistics in a very long time. I remember that something about wellies featured high on the most-read list, along with a post about an old armchair. It takes all sorts...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wellies and armchairs...perhaps some kind of fetish, Meike?

      Delete
  3. My stepmother had an Australian friend known to us affectionately as Big Dorothy who used the word "skivvies" -- it was new one to all of us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought a skivvy was a kind of maid of all work? It Is over here!

      Delete
    2. We used to call them strides. Mens not ladies. My neices had G strings for a Christmas present from their Nanna. Mind she was barking mad. The kids were only twelve and fourteen.

      Delete
  4. My late mother-in-law would always hang her knickers on the clothes line closer to the house so that the neighbors would not see her "undies" waving all about! I am American but around her, I always said "knickers". (And yes, we say "panties".)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I've got to get over my panties thing! But we do have undies. Oh, and of all things, smalls (whatever their size!).

      Delete
  5. You're absolutely right about that word, Frances - panties sounds so polite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary, I think panties sounds .....coy? Something like that!

      Delete
  6. I can remember ordering a Knickerbocker Glory, just because saying the name in the gathered company amused me. (It was a long time ago, but I'm not sure I've grown up all that much since.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember having to stand on my chair to eat one of those. Patsy! (That was a long time ago, too...)

      Delete
  7. It's a subject to which, to be frank, I've given very little thought. It will probably stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an English-derived American and dedicated Anglophile, I've always loved the word "knickers" - but when I read the phrase "Merlin's baggy Y-fronts" in Harry Potter, I laughed right out loud. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete