Thursday 21 July 2011

The press - do they never learn?

A woman has been questioned in connection with the deaths of three hospital patients. She hasn't been tried, she hasn't been convicted; just taken in for questioning. And guess what? Her name is all over the papers, together with her photo, and the names of her parents and her boyfriend. Excerpts from her Facebook page have been publicised; she has apparently been fed up with work, hated night duty, on some days only went to work for the money ("arrested nurse moaned about job on Facebook" bellowed The Times, devoting part of the front page and all of the third to this story).

Well, haven't we all felt like that about our jobs at times? But we didn't start killing people to make ourselves feel better, did we? I loathed night duty, but can say with my hand on my heart that I was never tempted to kill my patients. This information is not relevant.

Whatever happens in this tragic case, this young woman's reputation will be in tatters. If she's tried and acquitted, will anyone employ her now? Would you? Would I? I very much doubt it. Our wonderful free press are it again, with the hacking scandal still ongoing. She may be guilty, in which case she deserves to be punished. But is it too much to expect that a civilised society should at least wait for the trial before publishing this damaging - and possibly misleadling - information?

12 comments:

  1. This approach is so medieval... put people in the stocks for everyone's entertainment, no matter whether the poor man or woman has actually done something or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If moaning about your job is proof of criminal behaviour then almost everyone in employment should really be in jail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Librarian. What amazes me is that I read it today in Rupert Murdoch's Times, too!

    Excactly, Patsy. Now, please show us that ring!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate working the occasional Sunday and only go for the money 9 days out of 10. Clearly those around me should be worried. Don't know how the press sleep at night sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Colette. Yes - I used to have to work week-ends when my children were small, and I hated it (so did they!). I think what beggars belief is that this story is being so shamelessly exploited at such a bad time for the press. Even if they aren't thinking about their victims, aren't they worried about their own futures? Clearly not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found myself wondering the same thing when I heard of her being taken in for questioning. Why is the man who gave Rupert Murdoch a faceful of shaving foam 'alledged' to have done so, when we all saw him on TV, and this woman is guilty, when none of us have any idea?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whatever happened to "innocent until proved guilty?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect point Hausfrau - point made so much better than the one I intended to write.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree absolutely. Here in France, the press published the name of Dominique Strauss-Kahn's presumed victim, something that is strictly forbidden in Canada and the USA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very good point, hausfrau!

    Rosamund, I think that one went out of the window a long time ago!

    Hi, Anna. It seems we're all in agreement!

    Deborah, maybe Canada and the USA are a bit more civilised in this respect?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've posted a picture of the ring on my blog now - well, sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, Patsy - but where's your face?

    A close-up, please, as soon as you get it back!

    ReplyDelete