Thursday 8 December 2016

What would you like for Christmas?

A gift, as seen in Gift Guides  or Gift Departments is, almost by definition, something nobody needs and few really want. Those tall bottles of vinegar with what look like small trees growing inside them;  every kind of smelly candle; cute calendars; deadful jokey novelties - in fact, all the things which are the last resort of the desperate shopper. You can spot them a mile away. I imagine even the charity shops dread their annual appearance.

In Saturday's Times, there was even a gift guide for pets. There was a doggy sweeter for £99.50 (I've never even spent that on a human sweater), a Santa's Little Helper doggy hat, catnip sushi ....you get the picture.

But what would you like for Christmas? I'll start the ball rolling: I would like one of those pretty, long pendants my daughter wears, even if it doesn't look as good on me as it does on her. Oh, and the DVD of my youngest son's wedding (he got married in May).

Now it's your turn.


19 comments:

  1. Dear Santa, I would like another 3-volume set of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books since it appears that the ones I lent to my son-in-law a few years back are not going to be returned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could never get on with Tolkien, Bob. I think he's a Marmite writer!

      Delete
  2. I would like my mother to be healed and well after her operation, which is on the 15th of this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All the very best for your mother, Nicola. I hope it goes well.

      Delete
  3. Actually, I am one of those people who like getting tall bottles of balsamico vinegar or special types of oil for use in the kitchen - I use them up, they are useful and at some stage they are gone and don't clutter up my home anymore.
    Anything that can be eaten, drunk, worn or rubbed on my skin is a good present!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A voucher so I can choose my own present combined with a morning out. Coffee and cake would be involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there, Maggie. Mine's a doughnut. With lots of jam.

      Delete
  5. Book reviews for me please! Preferably 4 or 5 stars.

    I really dislike those gift catalogue gifts to. Most are bought just for the sake of giving something even though the giver knows the recipient won't like it. That seems so wasteful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need some two star as well, Patsy. it adds veracity. But the threes and fours are best, of course.

      Delete
  6. I would like the giving of 'compulsory' gifts at Christmas and for birthdays to be abolished. Instead gifts should be spontaneous and given as and when the thought or the occasion arises. I love giving. I love receiving. I just don't like it being done to order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, you know why I thin that's a lovely idea! But I love to buy Christmas presents, provided I can find the right thing for the right person.

      Delete
    2. The problem is, Frances, that I can never think of the right thing for the right person at the right time.

      Delete
  7. Re Tolkien being a Marmite writer, I had never encountered the word before so I looked it up, and now that I have read about it I'm still baffled; I have no idea what you mean. Could you explain please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People either love or hate Marmite. It's quite a common expression - not my own!

      Delete
  8. Just looking forward to seeing my grandchildren on Boxing Day. Have a good one, Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The bread making course at our fabulous local 'Artisan Bakehouse' that I've bought for my daughter and my husband's bought for me... can't wait!

    ReplyDelete