Wednesday 12 January 2011

A grumble

I have just received more spam (the computer kind) about " losing those extra pounds" after Christmas, and this infuriates me.

I really resent the assumption that we all gorge ourselves over the festive season, and struggle to shed it afterwards, and I find the whole idea of see-sawing up and down (Christmas, up; get into-your-bikini-by-June, down) rather obscene.

But it seem that we are fascinated by diet and obesity. There is a proliferation of TV programmes about very fat people. Some of these have apparently been bed-bound for years, and that begs a rather obvious question that no-one seems prepared to address. Where is all that food coming from? For behind every beached, obese person, there has to be another (thinner) person with money and a shopping trolley and a handy supermarket. In other words, an accomplice.

A grumpy post, but that's how I'm feeling at the moment. I need sun.

7 comments:

  1. One minute they're telling us we're all unfit and are going to die early. The next they're saying we're living too long and there's no money in the pension pot.
    Don't watch the news, Frances. They just like to sensationalise everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're probably right, Keith. Oh - and by the way, those are NOT my feet (or my weight)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter must end, I end.

    As should people making assumptions.

    As should people giving generalized get-well advice from the safety of a television news studio, to a complec population brimming with human variation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, Nevets. But it seems that fat people make great television (no pun intended).

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'I need sun'. Have you thought of acquiring a lightbox, Frances? I use one and it keeps me (relatively) sane and less grumpy than I would otherwise be from October through to March.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you do with it, Alis? Sit on it? Under it? Watch it? Sounds good. (And is it any help with the waiiiiiiiting?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sit a foot away from it and read by its amazingly bright white light (like sun off snow) - it really works and certainly prevents the waiting turning me into a gibbering wreck. (mostly)
    I wrote a blog post about it many moons ago. Here's the link so you can see what it looks like:
    http://hawkinsbizarre.blogspot.com/2007/10/seeing-light.html

    ReplyDelete