Monday 31 January 2011

Waiting in

I am waiting in. For the gas man. For the second day. He's very nice, apologetic when he doesn't make it in time etc etc. But there are things I want to do, and I can't do them.

People spend a lot of time waiting in - I have a rich friend who seems to spend most of his time doing it - and it occurred to me some time ago that there is a gap in the market for an organisation called, say, www.waitingin.com It doesn't exist yet; at least I hope it doesn't, because if the writing comes to nought, then I might start it myself. You phone up, and a nice person with excellent references and a hitherto blameless existence turns up, and waits in. For the new fridge, or the gas man, or the very large parcel, or even the visitor you're hoping to avoid ("I'm so sorry. She's been called away urgently, and won't be back for a fortnight"). A good idea, don't you think?

It might even make a plot for a novel, or a sit com (sit.com)?

You saw it here first.

12 comments:

  1. That's 3 good ideas - the business, the novel and the sitcom. You see? Waiting around can be productive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great way for writers to make some living cash, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that, Keith! And Nevets - we can take our laptops round when we're doing it and tap away while drinking someone else's coffee. We may be on to something. Pity you live such a long way away!

    (By the way, the gas man did come. In the end.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think if I said to my wife, "Wanna move to the UK so I can write and hire out for waiting in for folks," she would show me her bags already packed for the move...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Come on then, Nevets! A warm welcome awaits (although the weather is bloody freezing).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Idea, Frances!
    Can you tell me why I feel so guilty about being at home when it's what I wanted?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, Jarmara. I think guilt goes with the territory when you're doing something full-time that you love, and have hitherto considered as a hobby. I've made a small but handy income over the years with my writing, but I still feel I ought to be doing something else. Like mucking out the larder, or making soup. Hang in there, and with a bit of luck the guilt will subside!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Frances You don't what your kind words means to me. I suppose once the checks start dropping through the letterbox others will see it as being worthwhile. sad but true. A job isn't a job unless it pays the bills and you hate doing it.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. "A job isn't a job unless it pays the bills and you hate doing it." How sad! And how strange that the more you hate doing something (like making soup or mucking out the larder - see above) the more worthy it sounds.

    I'm off to ride the horse, which is extravagant and self-serving - much more so than writing - but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Horse riding. Now that's living the life.

    ReplyDelete