Saturday 30 November 2013

Flash fiction

PEACE

For the first time in twenty-five years, I lie with a soft pillow under my head. After the extremes of heat and cold, in my tiny isolated room, I am comfortably warm. I have just eaten the most delicious meal; one of my own choosing, after years of near-inedible mush. People move around me, touch me (how I have longed for that touch; the human touch of skin against skin!) and talk in low voices, and are kind. Someone smiles at me.

I hardly feel the scratch of the executioner's needle. Soon I will be at peace.

14 comments:

  1. Powerful, Frances - and very moving x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So touched by this Frances.
    (Still awaiting response from Lifelines.)
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will send you the email of someone else you can contact, Anna. Sorry it's been such a nuisance.

      Delete
  3. PS Have not long emailed Lifelines requesting further SO form as maybe it is a lost int the post problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully written piece on a most horrific subject.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not surprised this is short piece is so powerful, Frances, as I know how much the subject means to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I bang on about it, Wendy, but we all need our soapboxes...

      Delete
  6. A stirring piece, Frances, so perfectly written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very touching...actually brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete