Monday 4 November 2013

Horse (Fairy) Diaries

Well, Fairfax (aka Fairy) has been with me nearly a year, and has finally agreed to have his comments posted. Provided they are accompanied by a photo showing his best side (he doesn't have a best side, and anyway, strictly speaking, it should be 'better' side. But I'll let that pass).

So. Fairy has a nice new rug. I took it in to show him this morning.

Me: Look! Lovely new indoor rug! Nice and cosy, and the colour suits you.
Fairy: I liked my old one.
Me: No you didn't. It was so big that it looked as though you were hiding under a tablecloth, and besides, you had trashed it. (How does a horse wreck a rug which is only worn indoors? I have no idea, and he's not telling).

I put the rug on him. It looked lovely, and fitted perfectly. Fairy was not impressed, so I led him out to the grass in front of the yard office to have a graze. I was holding the lead rope and dreaming, as you do, when Fairy suddenly plummeted earthwards.

Fairy (kicking his heels in the air): Just seeing whether it stays on when I roll about like this.

It did. It is now a very un-smart muddy rug, but he was pleased, and I suppose that's what counts. (I would add that this was only the second or third time in all the time I've had him that he has rolled while I'm holding him. He says it was pure coincidence. My own jury is still out.)

:

19 comments:

  1. Fairy is so handsome! I'm so glad he's agreed to join your blog. And he has a sense of humour too. I love the fact that he's made his blanket his own by making it muddy :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a very intelligent horse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fairy reminds me of those people who go and buy jeans that are already torn (at strategically interesting places, prerably) and bleached...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite like hthe look of torn jeans, but not for me (too old. Sigh).

      Delete
    2. Torn jeans is a step too far beyond the limits of my comprehension.

      Delete
  4. Welcoming Fairy to the literary world, if not the smart set:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would be smart, if only he'd grow a forelock, ER. I've thought of making him one out cuttings from his magnificent tail, and stitching it to his browband. What do you think?

      Delete
  5. This was a wonderful read, Frances. I don't know many horses on a one-to-one basis, but I have had many pets and know they definitely like to fool us from time to time. Our dog tells lies. My husband usually believes her, but I am not fooled by those big brown eyes and soulful sighs.
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, Fairfax isn't bright enough to tell lies, I'm afraid.

      Delete
  6. Bonnie says her coat is much improved when she's rolled in fox poo (maybe I should get her to wear a blanket).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter's dogs do that. Someone should invent a substance that smells like Chanel No.5 (to humans) and dog poo (to dogs). There must be a market for something like that...?

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't know about horses, but dogs roll around when they are happy, so Fairy was either telling you he liked his new blanket or he was trying to shake it off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I think he was just feeling itchy, Maggie.

      Delete
  9. Are you sure he would prefer to be called 'Faxy'? 'Fairy's' a bit..... erm Fairy-ish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Fairy's a terrible name for a huge male horse. But I'm afraid it's stuck. His last owners called him Fairy too, and I swore I wouldn't. Funny things, nicknames.

      Delete
  10. I missed this, it's brilliant. Naughty Horse. My sister entrusted a three day eventer to me. She had to go away doing questionable human things. It rolled in a river crossing and trashed a brand new saddle. Think yourself lucky. The little bugger could have rolled on me. Little sister said I thought I'd told you he did that. What were you thinking of?

    ReplyDelete
  11. So long as he doesn't do it whilst you are in the saddle I suppose it's ok. Somehow I wouldn't put it past hime though. He has that look in his eye.

    ReplyDelete