Wednesday 16 March 2011

Falling off the wagon

Well, that didn't last long.

We decided to give up alcohol for Lent*. Ash Wednesday went well, as did Thursday and Friday. Saturday was our wedding anniversary, so we let ourselves off, and Sunday, says John (more ecclesiastically informed than I am) is always a feast day, so you can drink on a Sunday. Monday was ok, and then we got to Tuesday... we had a good DVD to watch, but something was missing. A nice bottle of red, that's what. So together, we fell off the wagon. Joint decision. No-one but ourselves to blame. Oh dear. And we really meant to stick to it, too.

*Personally, I'm not much in favour of giving things up for Lent; better to do something nice/good instead, I always think. When I was at school, I was nice to Susan W, a girl I couldn't stand, for Lent. I thought that was a more positive approach. But John is more into giving things up. (Hasn't worked, though, has it?)

10 comments:

  1. The being nice sounds an excellent idea. Lent goes on quite a while though - not sure I'd stand the strain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - much better to do something positive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes - being nice (and drinking). Sounds good! Thanks Patsy and Colette for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice is good. Instead of taking away - giving is better!

    I am sure 'Him Upstairs' would agree.

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always had to give up one thing (usually sweets) and do something positive (usually exercise). One year I gave up meat and felt so much better I haven't eaten meat since. This year I (blush) forgot about Lent. Will have to do 80 days next year to make up for it!
    Judy (South Africa)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely prefer the idea of being nicer to someone or helping someone out, rather than giving up (in my case) chocolate!

    The lead up to Easter is when I eat Cadbury's cream eggs, as I then stop after Easter Sunday - not the way it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Juday - I wonder if I gave up drink for Lent, would go off it for good? It's a thought (but a rather cheerless one).

    Rosemary - I'm a Cadbury's cream egg fan, too, but try to resist. I haven't had one yet this year, but I'm beginning to weaken...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sitting in front of the DVD was the big mistake! Cups of tea just aren't the same.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Fran. If only someone had told me that before...

    ReplyDelete