Thursday 30 May 2013

Of boys and boats



This morning on the radio I heard the old nature v nurture argument again, and a woman who has obviously never been near a small boy was coming up with the old chestnut about conditioning. Well, having spent the weekend with three of my grandsons, brought up by gentle parents but invariably armed to the teeth with an assortment of weaponry, I would take issue with her. And we have a good example in our family: triplets, where the boy is all Boy, and the girls are, well, girls. Admittedly one of my sons could knit cable stitch when he was young, but he now designs racing cars. And yes; I'm sure there are girls who design cars, too, but I'm also sure the men outweigh the women.


We are off tomorrow, for ten days on this ship,  and I can't wait. We've been before, and it's a huge treat, but we're worth it...I think (we won't be worth much when we get back, but no matter). We might even see the sun (but will we recognise it?).

15 comments:

  1. Bon voyage, Frances. I hope the sun smiles for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a wonderful time, Frances... where will the ship be taking you? We went on our first cruise on our honeymoon three years ago to the Norwegian Fjords - it was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed that families where the first child is a girl tend to be gentler, both boys and girls, than when the first is a boy, however.

    Hope you have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have a great time on the ship and whereever it will take you, Frances!
    You are right - you are worth it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a great holiday. I wonder where you are going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to laugh about the lady obviously never having been near a small boy!! Hope you have a lovely time, Frances and that you see plenty of the sun :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ta-ta, m'dear. Have a fantastic voyage to wherever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the cable-stitch story!
    Have a wonderful time on that beautiful ship, Frances, and I hope the sun shines all the way through. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you see the sun too! Some one has to be the one, then maybe you can take a picture and share it with us, have a great time xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just been catching up on your posts as we've been away for a few days. I giggled my socks off regarding the lemon meringue pie. Have a lovely break and sail away somewhere nice. Boats and ships not for me I'm afraid. A calm sea across the channel makes me feel queezy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have a brilliant trip!

    (I was a complete tomboy as a kid and am now a girly romance writer)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow. That sounds like some holiday. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much for the kind comments. We're back now, and had a great time,and found the sun! But...I'm not sure we're really Cruise People. More of this later. Perhaps...

    ReplyDelete