Thursday, 8 May 2014
Of bucket lists
It seems fashionable at the moment to have a bucket list. I've never given this much thought, but if I went in for bucket lists, mine would be a bit like this:
My bucket used to contain the following;
1. Become a ward sister (tick).
2. Have at least six babies (two thirds of a tick. Husband only wanted two, but I did manage to persuade him into two more. After that, he put his foot down. I'd better add that I love my "babies" just as much now they're grown up, in case B sees this).
3. Be a Relate counsellor (tick. I absolutely loved it).
4. Sell some stories (tick).
5. Have a novel published (tick).
6. Be a grandmother (tick, though not really my own achievement).
7. Have my own horse again (I had one as a child).
What's left in the bucket includes:
1. Visit South America (not much chance, for a variety of reasons).
2. Rent an enormous house somewhere warm with beautiful sea/weather/views/food etc and have my entire family to stay(no chance).
3. Read all of Trollope (Anthony, of course).
4. Have singing lessons (yes. Really).
5. Write a best-seller (hah).
6. Be invited onto Desert Island Discs (no chance at all. Sad, that, as I have my list of music all ready).
7. Gallop a horse along a long, sandy beach (I have the horse, but not the beach, so no chance).
What's in your bucket list (if you have one)?