Thursday 8 October 2015

A guinea pig post

This is one of  my grandsons, with his beloved guinea pig.

Our family has long had a love affair with guinea pigs, who are enchanting (especially the babies, who arrive as ready-made miniatures of their parents. None of that blind, bald nonsense). They are peaceful pets, little trouble and  have an  endearing range of squeaks and whistles. But - they are also subject to panic attacks, they are shy, and they are not very bright. They also don't live very long. Ours in particular didn't live very long, for fate did not smile kindly upon them, although they were much loved. Thus (a random selection):

Two were despatched by next door's dogs, who got into our garden.

One, who had escaped, was borne away, screaming, by the farm cat. The memory hants me still.

Next door's dogs again. The owners were genuinely horrible, and not just becasue they kept guinea- pig-eating dogs.

Perhaps most traumatic of all, on the morning of my father's funeral, we discovered that rats had chewed their way into the cage, eaten the babies, killed one parent and badly maimed the other. A weeping daughter and a trip to the vet on the morning of a funeral is not what we wanted.

Although we had many guinea pigs over the years, I don't recollect a single one dying peacefully in his bed of old age. Oh dear. But those whose bodies we had were given respecful burials in the left-hand flower bed. Theirs weren't the only flower-bed graves, either....

But the good news it that grandson (above) seems to have better luck with his. They live to ripe(ish) old ages, and are beatifully cared for. One of them, the much-loved Josh, used to come into the kitchen to have toast and marmalade and tea (two sugars) for breakfast.



15 comments:

  1. Funny but endearing little animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ou said it, Adrian. That's just what they are.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Frances, what tragic ends some of them had. I do love guinea pigs. Never had one, but had a childhood friend who used to breed them. Lovely little things xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too late, Teresa. But they might be eaten by the current residents (I don't mean you, of course, although many people do eat guinea pigs...)

      Delete
  3. My sister and I were given a couple of guinea pigs ("two females!") by our aunt when we were little. Well, one morning there were 13 guinea pigs in the small enclosure my Dad had built for two... We only kept three and gave the rest into good homes among our friends and neighbours.
    The ones that we kept lived long, happy lives (for guinea pigs anyway). My sister's favourite one lived longest, and we were all really sad when she died (the guinea pig, not my sister).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, I'm so relieved your sister is alive. Phew!

      Delete
  4. They are cute little things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially the babies, Patsy. They're adorable.

      Delete
  5. We have had bad luck with our chickens (eaten by foxes despite a Fort Knox-style coop) and the rabbits didn't live long either, although they just seemed to keel over rather than meet violent deaths.
    I do love the sound of Josh and his tea with two sugars. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanna, Josh was really very special, and his owner (picture above) grieved sorely when he died (natural causes, I'm happy to say).

      Delete
  6. All I know about guinea pigs is that one must not hold them up by their tails or their eyes will fall out. I have to give you credit for your perseverance although I'm rather glad that I wasn't a guinea pig in your care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We looked after them beautifully, Graham. We just had very bad luck. Every time 👿 (after al this time, I've just discovered these horrible little icons, but had to use one. Sorry).

      Delete
    2. PS the icon didn't work. not sure why. Oh well...

      Delete
  7. A guinea pig was only one of several animals that I had in my first grade classroom.
    Sadly our Goldie died during the summer in the home of one of my students. Nothing traumatic, just age (as you say, their lifetime is rather short), but of course, it was traumatic for the little girl. She was beside herself with grief. I felt so bad for her. Thankfully, her mother was sympathetic with her daughter, as was I when I learned about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Norma. I think for most children the death of a pet is their first experience of grief, and thus an introduction to the difficult subject of death. Maybe no bad thing, as it comes to us all, but very sad nonetheless.

      Delete