Sunday 20 December 2015

A Christmas story

Recently, as I struggled through the crowded town, I saw a small boy running along behind his mother.

"Why's it called Christmas?" He shouted after her.

I didn't hear her answer, but it put me in mind of this story.


In the jeweller's window, half hidden among the Christmas tinsel, glitter and flashing fairy lights; the expensive rings and bracelets and necklaces; someone had placed a little wooden manger, with a tightly-swaddled figure of the Christchild. Anyone watching closely might have noticed that the tiny figure appeared to awaken, look around as though dazzled by his surroundings, start at the jangling sounds of the Christmas music  and the cries  of excited customers, and begin to sob. A manicured  hand reached into the window from behind, and swiftly removed the little manger, replacing it with an expensive bejewelled watch.

"Why are taking that out?" someone asked.

"Oh, this old thing? It looks out of place here. We don't need it any more, so I decided to bin it.  Besides, what's it got to do with Christmas?"


16 comments:

  1. Frances this little story brought a chill to me this morning. I'm afraid more and more people would agree with the clerk removing the tiny figure and replacing Him with a watch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jill I just get tired of all the noise and the glitz. And everyone looks so gloomy!

      Delete
  2. It's sad. Also, I'd really like to know what the mother told her son in answer to his question as to why it is called Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So would I, Meike. But I didn't hang around to find out.

      Delete
  3. Thanks Frances for making us all think about the real meaning of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it feels as though everything's got out of hand... and I say this as a non-believer who loves Chistmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think you need to be a believer to want a little more peace and thoughtfulness, Wendy. As you say, it's all got out of hand.

      Delete
  5. Finances seem to have become far more important than faith, family and tradition when it comes to Christmas.

    Actually not just at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I quite agree, Patsy. And I'm a fine one to talk as I've spent a fortune because I LOVE giving presents.

      Delete
  6. WONDERFUL. So true and so sad. that's just what it's like these days Thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a powerful little story, Frances. Why don't you use the idea along with the little boy's question to write a Christmas story? Wishing you and yours a happy, Peaceful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. A good idea, but I might have to wait a year before writing It! I hope you have a lovely Christmas, too.

      Delete
  8. Merry Christmas, Frances and a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Keith. And the same good wishes to you.

      Delete