Friday 29 July 2016

Things I have learnt recently

1. That Phoebe really misses my posts, although she's not a follower (come on, Phoebe. Make me up to 128). So this is for her.

2. That marrying off my youngest son is both wonderful and emotional (I'm not his next of kin any more, although he has a wonderful new wife who has taken over the job. I'm not being a creep here as none of my family read my blog, apart from Phoebe).

3. That applying nail varnish to the eyelashes ( having confused it with eyelash stuff) is an exeptionally bad idea. Think about it.

4. That the best way to find unswept-up fragments of broken glass is to walk about with bare feet, and voila! There they all are!

5. That we need more sticking plaster ( see 4 above).

6. That I haven't got any more things done since cutting down on the blog (so what exactly HAVE I done? ).

7. That there are bee orchids on the downs where I ride. I've seen every other sort, but bee orchids only this year. They are truly beautiful.

8. That my daughter really is a domestic goddess. Sadly, she doesn't get it from me.

9. Something I haven't learned yet: what exactly do those gangly spindly spiders that live in sheds eat? We have lots (of spiders, not sheds), and they just dangle there, waiting. Come on, spiders. Even I can see there are NO FLIES. Ours is a no fly zone. What exactly are you all waiting for? Please go away ( I never kill spiders. I just Hoover up the webs. Making new ones gives them something to do).

25 comments:

  1. 1. Yes, Phoebe, come on!
    2. The older I get, the more emotional weddings make me (other people's, obviously - not my own!).
    3. Erm... ouch. I think.
    4. OUCH!
    5. Sounds sensible.
    6. Been at your son's wedding, for instance.
    7. I've never heard of them, but if you say they are beautiful, I don't doubt it.
    8. One domestic goddess in the family is probably enoough :-)
    9. Yours is probably a fly-free zone because of all the gangly spiders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, thank you for that comprehensive reply! The spiders have no flies or grisly fly remains in their webs (so maybe they're very tidy eaters?).

      Delete
  2. I have never used nail varnish and didn't know you could get stuff to paint eyelashes with. I once went out with a girl who had pretend eyelashes and one fell in her curry. It livened up a rather dull meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Wendy, it was clear varnish. fortunately. The best kind for eyes.

      Delete
  4. My family doesn't read my blog either. Oh well, we can say whatever we like about them, right?
    Nail polish instead of mascara, you're funny but hey, be careful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not instead of mascara, Kay. It was instead of some stuff which is supposed to make the lashes longer. But doesn't ....

      Delete
  5. No 3 sounds horrid. So does no 4 - done that myself but not 3. No 7 features briefly in one of my short stories. They are beautiful. Maybe now the story will get published! Here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with the story, Lindsay, and here's hoping it come with a lovely picture!

      Delete
  6. I'm not qualified to talk about using nail varnish on eyelashes although it does sound a singularly risky thing to attempt.

    However I think that your 'spiders' are probably harvestmen (rather than spiders) and eat just about anything that is really tiny. They don't have webs. The spiders that spin the webs have probably left because there were no flies to be caught.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, the spiders are definitely spiders. With rather untidy webs. They have tiny bodies and exceptionally long legs.

      Delete
  7. Oh, Frances, I did laugh at number 4. I hope no one was seriously hurt :) My daughter reads my blog and promptly calls me if I miss a post :) Have a lovely new week - minus the glass shards (been there, done that :)). Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the only person who walks around with bare feet all the time, Nicola, so I was the lucky one.

      Delete
  8. Re No 6: Blogging is a way of proving that one has actually done something with one's time. The effect of not blogging is the opposite (even if in fact the reason for blogging may have been that one was too busy!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that reassuring comment, DT. I'll bear it in mind.

      Delete
  9. As you haven't got more done having cut down on the blog, perhaps you could make us all happy and start posting more often?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ouch to the nail varnish on eyelashes! Good to have another blog post from you, Frances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosemary. Yes. It was a silly mistake, especially as you really can't pour the remover stuff into your eyes.

      Delete
  11. I had missed this post, Frances - and missed you! I must agree with Frances and say I hope this means you will be back to blogging.

    I don't mind those spindly spiders. I have heard that they eat bigger spiders and mosquitoes and they seem very good at minding their own business unlike house spiders :-) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind the spindly spiders, either Teresa. Thank you for your kind comments!

      Delete
  12. I think the general consensus of opinion is that you should start blogging more frequently so looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Maggie. I'm still thinking about it!

      Delete