Friday 4 May 2012

Coming soon to a house near you...

...a gender party! After the baby shower, the "gender reveal party"; the happy occasion when the proud parents reveal to their friends the sex of their unborn baby. The answer's in the cake. A cake is made with white or chocolate icing, but when it's cut, it reveals - da-da! - pink or blue filling! Clever, eh?

An advanced slant on this is for not even the parents to know. The person who has scanned the baby lets the cake shop know what sex it's going to be, and the cake is then made, and the parents don't find out until the cake is cut.

Guests can apparently attend wearing pink or blue clothes, depending on what gender they think the baby is going to be, and there are pink and blue balloons, and baby-themed party games. There's no end to the fun.

But will it end there? I think the time will come when the baby can be conceived and developed in a laboratory, and then produced (out of a cake. Why not?) fully-formed. Even better, it could stay in the lab until it's potty-trained, or better still, fully-grown, with a university degree. A gender-cum-graduation party. I suggest a pink or blue cake, with a mortar board on top.

I can't wait.

21 comments:

  1. Please tell me this a wind-up, Frances! I'm going to be a first-time granny in a couple of weeks time and son and d-in-law elected not to find out the gender. I'm also happy to be suprised.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not winding you up, Rosemary. Goggle gender reveal parties!

      Delete
  2. I like the lab-until-potty-trained idea.
    K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kay. Yes. You forget what a pain all that potty training was, don't you!

      Delete
  3. Daft eh? But it's making some people a lot of money. What other silly ideas could we come up with I wonder? Born again cakes maybe. What do you fancy coming back as?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very very successful writer with about eight kids. Oh - and a nice man, my nice man, to make them with! How about you, Maggie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the cake looks lovely, but am not too sure about this 'gender party' idea. And, yes, I wouldn't mind coming back as a very successful writer, but quite fancy combining it too with something like Maggie Smith's super-successful career as an actress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What's next - a 'my period is two days late' party? That'd be tasteful. The cake could be in the shape of knickers and you cut it to see if there's strawberry jam inside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry, that was gross wasn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally gross Patsy. But you could have pregnancy test party, coudln't you? Everyone gathers round while you pee on a little stick, and then tea or champagne, depending on the result. And a let's make a baby party...but perhaps that's going a bit too far. Hey - do you think wer're on to something?

      Delete
  8. I'd definitely go with the successful writing bit, although I'm not too sure about being famous. I can imagine you with eight kids and a big farmhouse, always in green wellies, or owning a stables and racing winners at Cheltenham.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've got the green wellies. That's a start...

      Delete
  9. this just reinforces my belief that the world has gone mad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And my eleven- year- old granddaughters are going to a school prom....we are getting a lot of ideas from across the Atlantic!

      Delete
  10. Good grief, Patsy! I was so shocked I had to reach for my lace hanky.
    But can't men get in on the act, Frances? Could I have a 'I've had a prostate operation' party? I think doughnuts would be the appropriate confection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith, I'll give this blog an x certificate if you like? Prostate party...hmmm...is there something you want to tell us?

      Delete
  11. Dear people, you ARE cracking me up here, all of you! Yes, I know the gender party thing is for real and people really DO this. But your comments - from Patsy's Late-Period-Party to Dream-it-then-do-it's lacy hanky - the old saying is true: the people make the party! And ANY excuse is good for a party, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Librarian, you're right. Any excuse will do. My first period parties, menopause parties....hey! What fun we women have!

      Delete
  12. My imagination isn't fertile enough for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perhaps it's just that your constitution is too delicate, GB? I totally understand. This got a tad out of control. Apologies.

    ReplyDelete