Friday 22 October 2010

Bad sex and Tony Blair

Apparently Tony Blair has been short-listed for the Bad Sex Award for writing the following in his autobiography (the first non-fiction nomination, apparently):

"That night she cradled me in her arms and soothed me; told me what I needed to be told; strengthened me," he wrote in A Journey. "On that night of 12 May 1994, I needed that love Cherie gave me, selfishly. I devoured it to give me strength. I was an animal following my instinct..."

I wouldn't really call that bad sex; or any sex at all, when you think what does get written. But there's something disatasteful about it, all the same.

To much information, Tony. Too much information.

3 comments:

  1. I think I'm inclined to agree with you there Frances :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, bad writing rather than bad sex.

    Distasteful because it is--or purports to be--real, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Madeleine (by the way, I tried to follow that link on your blog, but got confused!). I'm glad you agree.

    Tim, you're right. And also, if it hadn't been Tony Blair, it woudln't have been chosen at all.

    ReplyDelete