Tuesday 5 October 2010

Full English breakfasts and new knickers

We'vejust been away for the night for John's birthday, and managed to get upgraded to the kind of room you (I) can only dream about. It was all wonderful. But the breakfast...

Why, oh why, do I always have the full English? Because I've paid for it, that's why, and because I think I'm going to enjoy it. But I never do. It's invariably too filling, too fatty and too fattening. So, every time, I swear that next time I'll have a boiled egg. I loved boiled eggs. They're one of my favourite foods. But every time, I succumb to the full English, because I'm greedy and I never learn.

And the knickers. We have no M&S here (or only a food one) so on the way home, we visited Leamington Spa, and I bought 20 pairs of knickers. Which sounds as though I have some sort of medical problem, which I haven't, but I got carried away. I just love new knickers. Sparkling, new, white knickers, £4 for 5 pairs. And there's a wonderful sense of freedom in throwing away all the old ones, which have gone grey in the wash. I'm really looking forward to it.

But just to raise the tone, I bought a shiny new ice cream scoop as well.

14 comments:

  1. I've always regretted having the full English (veggie version). It never seems to be as nice as you think it's going to be.
    Congratulations on being upgraded! And on the knickers. You can never have enough knickers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much as I love new knickers, new socks are my absolute luxury. If I was ludicrously rich, I would have new socks every day and give all the worn ones (washed, obviously!) to Oxfam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alis, now that I know your position on new socks I will have to bump you up on my, "Authors I need to buy," list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Teresa - what's a full English veggie breakfast?

    Alis - I agree about socks. But I can get those from Sainsbury's (or borrow John's, as I have size 8 feet). A friend of mine has found a shop that sells socks in threes (socks, not pairs), so there's an extra one to make up for the one that always gets lost in the wash.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't throw away the old ones. Use them as dusters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nevets - that's the weirdest book-recommendation I've ever heard!!

    Frances - I love the idea of socks sold in threes -that's genius!

    Do it - I never throw them away! So far am I from being ludicrously rich enough to wear new socks every day that I wear unmatched pairs as long as they have no holes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. rehypenKeith, you just don't get it, do you? Throwing the old ones away is (part of) what it's all about. Where's the fun in dusters?

    Alis - you've got me thinking about new socks now. Lovely, smooth ones, straight out of the packet, with no holes. But I always find myself buying navy ones, and they get in the wash with (among other things) the knickers, which go grey...and the whole knicker cycle starts again.

    When I posted this, I thought the full English breakfast might attract more interest than the knickers. It seems that I was wrong (and what IS a veggie full English, Teresa? I really need to know).

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS Sorry, Keith. The verification word managed to get in in front of your name...

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Alis - Just goes to show my dedication to the cause of new socks.

    @Frances - Well, I did have to look up the full English breakfast in order to understand the post.

    And then I got too bliffy over the thought of black pudding for breakfast that I couldn't think straight.

    But then the thought of new socks pulled me out of my daze.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nevets, you don't have to have the black pudding (I think it's disgusting), but the rest - bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried bread - is nice if you have a huge appetite. Which I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  11. In Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin novels, at one point Stephen Maturin (half-Catalan, half-Irish) asserts that the full English breakfast is the sole--but very important--contribution of the English to world culture.

    (I have to admit that frying tomatoes as part of breakfast never occurred to me until I visited England, but now it's a staple around here.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm relieved that I can pass on the black pudding. Whew.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Veggie version - mushrooms, tomatoes, eggs (fried or scrambled) veggie sausages (ugh!)and I'm sure there was something else, but my poor stomach chooses to forget!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for that, Teresa. I think I'll pass on that one, too.

    ReplyDelete