Saturday 2 April 2011

B is for Beer


B is for beer. And Best. And Bitter. My favourite drink. In a pub, I wouldn't dream of having anything else (unless I'm driving). It has to be bitter, it has to be a pint, in a jug, with a handle. No poncey glass, and certainly not one of those half-pint specially-shaped ones they reserve for women. Sorry; for ladies.

My father taught me to drink beer. At the time, I was going through a Babycham phase. Can you imagine? Babycham. With a cherry on a stick. Oh dear.

Well, my father obviously thought oh dear too, and he didn't want to be seen with anyone drinking such a silly, amateurish drink, so he introduced me to beer. I'd like to say it was love at first taste, but it wasn't (is it ever, with the things that really matter?). But I grew increasingly fond of it, and it was a lot cheaper than Babycham, so boyfriends approved, too.

Tomorrow is Sunday. At mid-day on Sundays, a bunch of us fetch up at The Lamb (a proper, no-nonsense pub). I shall have a pint of beer. With pork scratchings.

Cheers!

(The photo is of the horse-drawn dray that still delivers Wadworths beer around Devizes. Beer and Horses. What better combination?)

14 comments:

  1. From Babycham with cherries to pints of bitter is quite a switch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go pass the Babycham factory at Shepton Mallet whilst on my way from Weymouth to Bristol before I was widowed. Writing about it brought back some bitter sweet memories.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beer! There...I said it. Wish I could go to The Lamb with you. First time I ever tasted bitters was in London a few years back. I expected it to be bitter, not lick-your-lips smooth as custard. Yes, the glass is important and so is the temp. Beer is always too cold, here in the states. All those charming little pubs you have over there with their crazy names (Coaches and Horses, one of my favs.) Have one for me, Frances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patsy, you're right. But you have to do it, don't you?

    Yvonne - I don't even know whether they still make Babycham. I rather hope not. It encourages bad habits.

    Yvonne O - if your'e ever over here, I'll take you to The Lamb and buy you a pint. Pubs are one the many reasons I could never leave England!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know they had pork scratchings south of Birmingham.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a Babycham phase when I was a teenager. But then we all have our moments of shame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never managed to like beer, but I hope you enjoy yours at lunchtime tomorrow, Frances! Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was never a Babycham drinking. in my younger days I always drank vodka and coke, now, depending on my mood it's either a glass (or two) of a good rose wine or a pint of guiness or cider.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In my teens I was a brandy and babycham drinker. Odd thing was - I hated it and just drank it to be cool!

    Now very much a lager person - although it has to be a half-pint glass!

    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keith - all worthwhile places have pork scratchings!

    Fran - as moments of shame go, there are worse...

    HI, Alis. Yes. We had our lunchtime beer and it was excellent as ever! And happy Mother's Day to you, too.

    Hi, Akasha. I think perhaps vodka and coke is marginally better than Babycham, but I'm glad you've graduated to sensible drinks!

    Anna - words fail me. Vodka and Babycham....?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. B is for boubon.

    Beam, in fact.

    Black-label to be specific.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beer! Has to be bitter, although my absolute favourite is Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. Ah, that is delish.

    Verification word: hiztwitl. Sounds like something you say when trying to order more beer after several.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nevets, I'm afraid we don't usually drink bourbon over here. But at least it begins with B, so thank you for trying.

    Aliya, have you tried Abbot Ale? Oh, and Theakston's Old Peculiar? Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete