Sunday 24 April 2011

U is for Unicycle


A unicycle, as everyone knows, is a bicycle with one wheel. You can buy one very cheaply (presumably because you're only paying for one wheel), and beginners' unicycles are apparently freely available, often made in Taiwan.

This is great news for some (although I suspect rather a few), but I for one cannot for the life of me see the point. A bicycle has two wheels, and when you have mastered it, it's fairly easy to ride. A unicycle has only one wheel, and is not (easy to ride). A bike is a useful mode of transport. A unicycle is not. Why would anyone want to own, never mind ride one? Yes, it's quite clever. But so (as someone once said) is farting 'Annie Laurie' through a keyhole. Clever, but not particularly useful.

So I, for one, shall not be buying one.

6 comments:

  1. A very cleverly written post and a good U word.

    Have a good day.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Yvonne! Am now off for very messy picnic with three boisterous little boys (and their parents)!

    You have a good day, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We used to sell unicycles when we had a cycle shop. They are mostly for fun - everyone has different interpretations of fun! We knew of a man who had unicycled from Lands' End to John O'Groats or that may have been the other way around. That didn't sound like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought only clowns and other circus vagabonds rode unicycles. I, for two, shall not be buying one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always rather fancied learning to ride a unicycle...god knows why, I can only just about balance on a bike with two wheels. We have a local lad who goeS everywhere on his unicycle!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Apologies, Lynne. But all the way from Land's End to John O'Groats on ONE WHEEL? It makes my eyes water to think about it.

    Hi, Yvonne - I'm glad you agree!

    Akasha - go for it! Why not? Then you can put it in your next book.

    ReplyDelete