Wednesday 7 September 2011

And now for something completely different...

...tea towels. That's right. Tea towels. What could be more boring than that?

As everyone knows, tea towels are given as presents. Dull presents, like calendars, from people who have given up trying to think of something more interesting to give. But I have a problem. All - and I mean all - our tea towels are worn out. My rule of thumb is that if there is more hole than tea towel, the time has come to throw in the - well - the tea towel.

So today. I shall have to go out and buy some. For us. Something I've never done before. But they won't have that lovely softness of a very old tea towel. They'll be all unforgiving and stiff and resistent. I shall avoid witty/picturesque/silly tea towels. I want the kind with stripes on the ends.

But I bet I won't be able to find any.

(A final thought. How on earth have we managed to WEAR OUT tea towels?)

5 comments:

  1. Oh, there's nought wrong with calendars and tea towels given (or received) as presents - they are useful, remind the recipient almost every day of the giver, and after a certain time, they are gone instead of collecting dust and cluttering up the place forever :-)
    Seriously, I've seen some beautiful calendars, made with people's own photographs, making perfect Christmas gifts. As for tea towels - i think I have about 4 or 5, but only ever use two in turns (until they will be worn out!). And I have a very old white linen one with blue embroidery that I only ever use to cover the bowl where the pizza dough is waiting to rise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure I agree about the tea towels, Librarian, but I do agree about those lovely photographic home-made calendars. I have a daughter-in-law who gives me one every Christmas. She's a brilliant photogrpaher, and the calendars are actually too beautiful to use, and far too lovely to throw away when the next one comes. I store them all under the sofa in the kitchen while I try to decide what to do with them...

    PS I bought new tea towels this morning, and managed to get the nice stripy ones. Not those soft ones that leave fluff on everything. (Oh dear. I'm being boring again. I'll shut up.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A teatowel isn't a very exciting present, I agree - there are much worse gifts though, such as hideous ornaments you have to put on display until you accidentally break them while dusting. Sometimes the accidental breaking is really hard to do.

    I hope you'll forgive me, but I've tagged you over on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patsy, I agree, and would add smelly candles. I know lots of people like them, but I like my smells and my candles separate.

    As for the tagging, thank you.I'll try to address it when I get back (how ungracious that sounds! Sorry).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You should have darned the old ones .
    Don't snort ! I work with someone who does just that .... and she's younger than me .... so not quite Victorian .

    ReplyDelete